Saturday, September 29, 2012

Smoke and Mirrors




I'm so very grown up
Hair undone
Pumps on the table
Roll up lies between my fingers, and

Inhale, exhale.

"Don't you worry about me,
I'm fine,
Things just don't work out."

I can see the reflection of the smoke in your skeptic eyes
But you talk about the weather,
The neighbors,
The price of tea in China.
Inhale, exhale.


Sometimes I try to hold it in until my throat closes and my eyes water
and the sadness seeps from my skin.

'Cuz people don't want to breathe in that kind of secondhand smoke.

They'd much rather put me in glass boxes
And paint red X's over their doorways.
It's a social taboo,
Don't say a word,
Just hold your breath and smile.


My heart's beating too hard,
My lungs are breathing too loudly,
Rattling the tangled up sentences
Buried beneath an unfamiliar voice.
My smile is suffocating me.

But my lips are addicted
So who cares if the lipstick smudges?


Inhale, inhale, inhale
I need to get out,
I need to breathe,
I'm coughing up ash-stained memories that


Shake me,



Rip me,




Aching lungs sucking in unfamiliar air
Fingertips trembling as I light another match.

"Can't we just talk about it, baby?
Can't we figure this one out?"


You hand me another mask
And I breathe it in,
Inhale, exhale.
I watch the smoke reflected in your eyes.


Don't be so disappointed.
You tried even less than I did.





~effervescent laughter

2 comments:

Greg Ostertag said...

This poem is amazingly good. The pictures really add a lot. My favorite line is "Rattling the tangled up sentences Buried beneath an unfamiliar voice." You are a really talented writer.

Steven said...

Woah. This is art. You are so talented.